Sunday 19 May 2013

One More Sleep

Long before I became a Mama, there was a little boy the Lord brought me to that taught me many lessons about life. I travelled half way around the world to work in a Children's Home in Northern Thailand and to care for this little one.
 
He was four months old. He had been left in a hospital, his mother unable to care for him.
 
For whatever reason, the Lord chose me to care for him day in and day out. He holds a special place in my heart and I love him dearly.
 
His name is Danny.
 
Not long after the Lord brought me another little one. This time, a six week old. We named him Matthew. Oh, how I treasured the nights that I was up at 3am feeding and rocking this little treasure back to sleep.
 
Through Danny and Matthew my mother's heart was born and because of them a babies home began.
 
We knew there would be more. Too many babies were being left behind for so many different reasons.
 
We would name the next one Caleb.
 
I even had a bear made with the name "Caleb" stitched on his shirt, waiting for our Caleb's arrival. But he never came.
 
Oh, many, MANY more babies came to live in the home. But none of them were "Caleb." It just wasn't meant to be.
 
Until now. I have been reflecting on this all week. God laid that name for my treasure on my heart years ago. He would wait 13 years before He would place my Caleb in my arms.
 
He knew Caleb would have the most beautiful brown eyes and brown hair. He knew my Caleb would be from Asia. I just didn't know he would be from China rather than Thailand.
 
The best part, He knew Caleb would be more than a child I cared for. He knew Caleb would be my son.
 
I'm not sure where that "Caleb" bear is now. It doesn't matter. Because starting tomorrow, my dear boy, I will care for your every need, I will protect you, and I will love you.
 
And I will get you a new bear!
 
We had a wonderful day exploring Hangzhou today. Although this is not the city that Caleb is from, it is the capital city of his province and where we will be meeting and adopting our son.
 
Most of the day was spent exploring West Lake. It was beautiful. Everything happened at a slow pace, not because there were too many people to maneuver around, but because everyone wanted to have their pictures taken with the kids.
 
So imagine when we had them dress up in traditional outfits. I'm sure we could have paid for our entire adoption had we started charging for every picture taken. Instead, we had to pay for the pictures.
 
Figures.
 
The kids are doing great. Caleb is never far from their minds. This morning at breakfast Hudson asked, "Can we go see Caleb today?"
 
They are so excited. So are we.
 
It is 9:30pm. Everything is ready for tomorrow. The kids are asleep.
 
I cannot describe what I am feeling right now.
 
Blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment